Thursday, August 30, 2012

Welcome to Literacy Class

Welcome to the wonderful world of 5th grade literacy!  I will try to keep you updated on the material we are reading in class.  My hope is that your child leaves the fifth grade with more enthusiasm for reading than he or she has ever had before.  For kids that hate reading, my job will be easy.  I just have to get him or her to like reading a little bit.  For those kids that love reading, my job is also easy.  I love matching just the right book to just the right student. 

Some important information about our class:

  • Students should always have a chapter book with him or her in class
  • Students should read 20-30 minutes FOUR OR MORE nights per week
  • Students can only have one book checked out at a time from my classroom library
  • Students can read books from the school library, other classroom libraries, public libraries, home libraries, books that fall from the sky, etc.
  • Students will not frequently have homework in my class........Reading is our homework 
  • Any work coming home will be work that was not completed in class